Re: [SLUG] How to ask a question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 18:27:48 EDT

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:25:28PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 September 2002 08:19, you wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I came across this while looking for more information about my AS400
> > terminal emulator. It's the "How to ask a question on a mailing list."
> > howto...sorta. It should be a HOWTO, anyway. It was written by Eric S
> > Raymond, and Rick Moen. It's very informative, and even funny in places.
> > The URL is: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Russell
>
> A rather lengthy essay on a simple topic. The sections on "courtesty never
> hurts, and sometimes helps" and Dealing with Rudeness" are ironically
> interesting in that the co-author, Rick Moen, while on the silicon valley lug
> list had the bad habit of flaming newbies for their allegedly "dumb"
> questions. I have never seen anyone so rude and discourteous on a lug list
> as he. I would say that he is not a credible authority on the subject.
> Smitty

I have to second this, as I have been on the SVLUG list while Rick Moen
was reaming people. The section in the URL above on "Dealing With
Rudeness" kind of tells the tale here. The gist of it is that hackers
tend to be rude under certain circumstances, and you should simply
accept this. I disagree. Rudeness is almost _never_ warranted. Excusing
it by saying, "Well, I'm a hacker, you see..." is simply self-indulgent.

However, this is a minor part of the article at the URL. In general, it
contains very excellent advice.

Paul