RE: [SLUG] New Linux Users Group Forming

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 14:53:36 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 14:29, David Meyer wrote:
> You know, it is this very thing that will keep Linux from ever becoming what
> it can be. You don't want to like me, that's OK with me. I seem to have a
> lot of friends on this list :) Unfortunately, you don't know me unless you
> worked on this project with the group that said "yes, we'll help."

I tend to disagree. I think this very thing is what will continue to
make Linux what it is, and software in general what it should be.
Software and support are both based on reputations. If you use these
without feeding into the reputations of those who contribute, the
community software and support will fall apart.

As for not joining the effort: that again is based on your reputation,
bad past experience with similar efforts, not wanting to support YET
ANOTHER classroom full of linux boxen myself, and the frantic pace at
which "real life" interferes with such work.

> Russ, you seem to have an opinion about absolutely everything, and don't
> mind sharing it with the group. That's fine. It was you who called me a
> troll a few months back. It was you who called me a Windows oriented user.
> Guess what Russ, until Linux can do everything that Bill's OS can do, I have
> no choice to use BOTH systems...as do 95% of the world's largest companies.
> If that bothers you, fine. I can't make everyone happy, and I'm not going
> to break a sweat trying with you.

Guess what, David, I rarely touch Microsoft products during the week -
and that only to support paying customers who demand on using it for
their business. If I had my druthers, all of our users would use
OpenSource tools on Linux boxen. But, nothing in life is ideal.

I'm tired of hearing users bemoan how they can't get their work done in
a Linux environment. Honestly, I use Linux on the desktop exclusively.
Evolution is as close to Outlook as any user has a right need to be
(outside of calendaring), Mozilla is a kick-arse browser, and the rest
of my day is spent in ssh shells to numerous boxen fixing customer
problems - often with the help of VNC. I would rather not get into a
battle over such things, however - whatever works for my customers is
what I will support. Period.

> As for my starting a new LUG in Brandon, the goal is to have a group that
> does some different things technology wise to learn from each others
> experience, and where one won't get beheaded for something like posting a
> job to try and help people who need work.

Whatever floats your dinghy. I've been running a Tampa Bay SAGE (Systems
Administrators Guild) once a month for the past year outside of SLUG
simply to have a meeting with more senior Unix folks in the area. SLUG
is a great place for newbies to get a bit of help and hang out with neat
folks like Roblimo once in a while.

Everyone has the right to start whatever group they best feel represents
their interest. You're more than welcome to start your own Linux User
Group over that way. USF has had one for quite some time, and many
others exist here and there in pockets. In the end, it's up to your
members deciding they want to hang out with YOU and discuss Linux on
their own free time.

> Another interesting thing...nobody who actually helped has said anything.
> The only people who are upset are those of you who have done nothing at all.
> That is something I find fascinating. To me, it shows where the real
> integrity is.

Real integrity? Gah! You infuriate me. But rather than flame you on a
public list (where I personally believe such dirty laundry should not be
aired), I will congratulate those who DID make an effort and DID manage
to put up with your apparent arrogance long enough to complete another
OpenSource assimilation of a classroom.

Oh, and dare I ask, who exactly will be supporting this class full of
Linux boxen in the long term? Has SLUG gained a few more members from
the school system who plan on maintaining these boxen, or are you
billing them from this point forward?

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net