[SLUG] RAID1 w/ISA card (long)

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 20:14:23 EDT

I had to retitle "Loading a driver permanently" because it was
buried. In short, what I need answers to are in paragraphs two and
four.

Ok, I have an update with my driver issues. First, in case it wasn't
clear, my card is an ISA card, and I'm running RH7.1. It's an
Advansys ABP-5140/42 SCSI II card with internal and external SCSI II
ports. It is plug-n-play, and I have the isapnptools-1.22-2 loaded
as well as the default Advansys driver that came with my system
(advansys.o).

Unfortunately, even though I have "options advansys" at the bottom of
my /etc/modules.conf, the silly thing still doesn't load
automatically. In fact, if I do a "modprobe advansys" it will load,
but /proc/isapnp still says the board is not active even though
everything seems functional and I can mount my CD-ROM and SCSI
drives. Why won't the driver load automatically?

Sooo what I've done, which I don't think is satisfactory, in rc.local
(thanks guys) is add the following lines before the touch command
(which is the very last line by default):

isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
modprobe advansys
raidstart /dev/md0

1. Now, when I cat /proc/isapnp, it says the board is active
2. When I do a lsmod, it shows the SCSI_mod and Advansys driver loaded
3. cat /proc/mdstat shows the RAID running nominal. GOOD!

One problem, I would like to have the RAID included in the autoraid
detection during the boot cycle and in my fstab for fsck (I can put
those in myself). I don't know which rc script, if any, is
responsible for the autoraid detection, but I see it happen. I feel
if that can be accomplished, if I have a power failure or something,
my system will start up again and repair *all* the drives that were
improperly shut down. Currently, the RAID starts way after
everything else loads up; after autoraid detection, mounting drives,
and fsck.

/mario