Re: [SLUG] R/O Floppies

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 21:19:58 EDT

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:39:15PM -0400, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> >I've got a Debian 3.0 system (2.4.18) that's telling me plainly R/W ext2
> >floppies are read only. Anyone know how to convince the system to mount
> >the floppy R/W regardless of what it thinks? Or some other way to get
> >around the problem?
> >
> >Paul
> >

> Paul-
> Are the little plastic Write-protect sliders in the closed position?
> With modern floppy drives, there is no software way around that.
>
> --ronan

Umm, that's why I said "plainly R/W"-- the tabs are in the R/W position;
I never mess with them. And no, the fstab doesn't say the floppy is R/O.
And I'd really rather not resort to a power cycle. ;-} Sometimes issues
like this go away after the machine has had a chance to sit overnight;
some sort of timeout issue, I imagine. But I was hoping for something
more direct. I believe I've read that the floppy drivers in Linux are
buggy. That's true as far as I'm concerned, because I've seen other
issues with them before, and with some regularity.

Paul