Re: [SLUG] tftp-server troubles with thin client setup

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 11:45:23 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 11:34, John Clay wrote:
> > Big Thanks Ian and Ron
>
> It's RH so I found the conf file as /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
>
> The tftp-server was indeed installed, the -s option was in place and the balance
> of the file is as your inetd.conf specifies. What luck.
>
> I'm digesting the rest of the information and am going to get the hpa-tftpd
> server as you suggested. Should I remove my current tftp package in preparation
> for the hpa-tftpd server?
>
> Re: ThinkNIC. Were you able to get them to work at all as simple thin client
> terminals for garden variety word processing/spreadsheets and the like?

Yes. X11 is X11. VNC works great as well (particularly tight and zlib
coding), and for Windows desktops RDP (rdesktop.org) isn't bad either.

> Asked another way - should I be looking for another (inexpensive) terminal
> appliance?

For $249 ($199 when I bought mine), it's hard to beat the formfactor and
nice pre-packaged little box. However, it's just as easy to put one
together yourself for that price these days.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com