[SLUG] Partitioning (Again?!)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 21:57:28 EDT

Alright folks, I'd like to revisit this topic one more time. I would put
up an FAQ on the website on this topic, but every time it comes up,
opinions vary so much that it's virtually impossible to post _one_
answer.

Right now, I'm bringing it up out of my own personal interest. My
situation is a little different than Russ's or Ian's or Paul Braman's. I
don't build production machines for other people. In general, the
machines I build/admin are for me at home, or for my (small) company.
For critical machines, I create _one_ large partition with everything on
it. Then I put a second hard drive in that machine and rsync nightly as
a cron job. On the one machine that holds shared data at work, I run a
tape weekly (the data isn't _that_ critical; if I lose a week's worth, I
can easily rebuild it). Other than that, I run a printout (of my own
devising) of all the settings for each machine, so that in a disaster, I
can rebuild it.

(In fact, these days, it's hard to find drives smaller than 18G, which
is _far_ more than I would ever consume (the only MP3 I have is the End
Credits for Buckaroo Banzai). Typically, I leave an extra partition in
case I want to change from, say, Red Hat to SuSE; that way I can
preserve the first while switching to the second. But even then, I can't
seem to fill all the space I have left.)

Now, the question is, given _this_ situation, are there any liabilities
to the one-partition-rsync'd-to-a-second-drive scenario?

Paul