Re: [SLUG] Problems with RPM database

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 08:30:52 EDT

Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 02 day of the 10 month in the year 2002:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 08:16:38PM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Matthew Moen wrote:
> >
> > > rpm -qa | gzip -9 > rpm-qalisting.gz
> >
> > gaaak !!! Please -- no attachments in a list server -- Post
> > it up to a website, if you must, and list the URL here --
> > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#volume
> >

> Agreed. Remember, you're sending this to 200 people, some of whom have
> only dialup and wouldn't know the answer to your question even if they
> did gunzip the file. Moreover, there is a 40K limit to postings; most
> likely, this one would bounce as a result.

By and large, I agree--posting attachments to lists /is/ a bad thing.
I normally wouldn't suggest it, but in this case, the resultant gz file
should be less than 5k, even with base 64 encoding. This is fine for
even dialup users, so long as it doesn't become a frequent occurrence.

I don't have ready access to a redhat system, but if you'd like to test
my assumption, try the following:

rpm -qa | gzip -9 | wc | awk '{print $3/1024"k"}'

And yes...I'm fully aware of the "post it to a website" bit of wisdom.
I guess I was wrong in assuming all parties involved (including NKS)
would consider an ~5k message little more than line noise, perhaps
slightly more than usual, but line noise nonetheless.

--
Matthew Moen