Re: [SLUG] RAM above 1 GB

From: sanity (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 12:38:31 EDT

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 13:52, rock wrote:
> I am trying to recompile a kernel so that it will see my memory above 1
> GB. Where can I find that option in menuconfig??? I have looked but so
> far I either don't know what Iam looking for or don't know where to
> look. Thisis for RH kernel 2.4.18-10.
>
> I did a make oldconfig expecting to have an opportunity to input new
> parameters and it just wizzed by without giving me that oportunity.
>
> Michael C. Rock

from http://www.linux-mag.com/1999-11/kernel_01.html :
The most efficient way to configure your kernel is to use make xconfig the
first time you are at it. Later, in order to make changes, you can then simply
remove items from .config and run make oldconfig to be asked only a few
questions. For example, you could enable network multicast in a kernel that was
already configured and compiled by simply removing the CONFIG_IP_ MULTICAST
line and answer affirmatively to make oldconfig.

Sounds like you have to remove a parameter--having to do with what you want to
change--from the .config file.

=====
j -- m9u35@yahoo.com
Saying that the constitution is a "living, breathing document" is the same thing as saying that there is no constitution. How would you like to play poker with rules that are "living?" (Walter Williams, Rush Limbaugh Show, 17 June 2002 broadcast)