Re: [SLUG] Scripting Advice needed

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 00:31:38 EDT

>> I have discovered that shell scripting is a weak area for me.

and

> Unless you are bound by distribution constraints, I strongly recommend
> Python (Perl is supposed to be almost as good) rather than shell
> scripting.

   I am JUST a user, not a programmer, not an administrator, I
couldn't get winblows 3.1 to work right (1/3 rd of the ikons
were black etc.) so I moved up to LINUX, it works fine.

   bash is the best shell (command interpreter) I have ever see.
(I am not worldly, having only used Slackware.)

   Programing languages as nice as they are no substitute
for becoming competent at shell scripting and programming.

   When you learn how to do it, you are able to control
the way your command processor operates, by setting aliases
etc. When I enter ` ps ' I get the results of: ` ps -ax '

when I enter ` txt ' the result is that of: ` cd /home/ron/txt '.

   It is true that you can write programs that can do these things,
but these bash substitutions do not require any extra disk access
or extra time they are loaded by bash when you log in.

   There are other benefits of bash programing but they don't come
to mind Friday evening.

   Then go learn "C" or something.

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm