Re: [SLUG] Scripting Advice needed

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 14:30:12 EDT

David R. Meyer wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have discovered that shell scripting is a weak area for me. With all
> the resources out there about how-to, etc, I am wondering is someone who
> may have had similar weaknesses in this area might suggest a resource
> (website, book, etc.) that you found to be helpful.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Dave

Unless you are bound by distribution constraints, I strongly recommend
Python (Perl is supposed to be almost as good) rather than shell
scripting. For power, portability, extensability, etc. these scripting
languages have great advantages over shell interpreters. The one
drawback is that you must have the Python or Perl interpreter in-place
for this to work.

--ronan