Re: [SLUG] SuSE 8.1

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 12:25:29 EDT

okay I'll try.
First off SuSe update box is the entire set of cds---just
like buying the full edition the only thing missing is the
amt(total data) of manuals. You can do a clean install or
update with this set of cds.(that the way its been in the
past -- I cant speak for 8.1.
The hardware requirements dont seem any different than *.0
or 7.3 for that matter and there is even better support for
specific items(examole my HP usb scanner was identified and
installed with no hassles)
there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of changes to the gui
stuff---some minor things here and there---the most obvious
is the login screen(with kde default) it looks a little
different.
There is no longer a gnome and gnome2 it seems to be just
gnome now.Other than the ordinary updates to the diff
desktop gui's(icewindows-Xfce- etc) there doesnt seem to be
much difference.
The differences Im led to believe are in the distro itself
-- some changes/additions to yast2 and things like that. I
personally like it and am happy but not real crazy about
the 80+ dollar total price (taxes and all) but I guess
thing like that are going to happen -- bread isnt a nickle
a loaf anymore either.
I have been using SuSE for awhile now and dont see myself
changing any time soon. I dont know how much help this
was---some I hope.