Re: [SLUG] market research software

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 23:47:33 EDT

Hmm, a search of freshmeat and sf reveals a couple things: GNU PSPP ( http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/ ), which is apparently still alpha software, but interprets SPSS language; SalStat ( http://salstat.sunsite.dk/ ), beta (wahoo!), is intended as a replacement for SPSS or similar packages; xldlas ( http://sunsite.math.klte.hu/mirrors/xldlas/ ); R ( http://www.r-project.org/ ). All of the above are GPL.

As far as CATI, I don't know of anything - like you said, it's very specialized. For apps like this, one of the best things that can happen for the OSS community is that the developer of a proprietary package will be persuaded to release the source (usually to an older version).

Levi