RE: [SLUG] once again, please

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 17:58:57 EST

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Mikes work account wrote:

> That was appreciated, but it did not solve my problem. I cannot edit those
> files because they are Berkley DB(Hash, version 7, native byte-order). At
> sometime I deleted manually some kernel version files not knowing that
> rpm -e would clean up everything, and then I reinstalled a kernel rpm. what
> I got was two entries in the rpm database. Now I cannot remove the entries.
> and before I can upgrade the kernel I need to do that(because of dependency
> issues), or I will just have to install over what I have after I repartition
> the hard drive.

ahhh -- different issue -- discussed fully within the last
seven days on rpm-list at Red Hat, along with a solution.
Basically, you remove ALL instances of a running kernel, and
insert just one at once -- I have done it on remote running
systems, and so long as no power interruption occcurs, ytou
are fine -- remember to run lilo if need -- Grub will pick it
up.

This is probably a proper use of '--nodeps' and '--force' --
never though I'd say _that_ <smile>

-- Russ Herrold