Re: [SLUG] Verizon and SMTP

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 18:40:37 EST

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:53:46AM -0800, rhires@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I've been silent for a while, since SMTP doesn't work for me right now under
> Verizon's network. That is, when I send mail via SMTP (which I had been doing
> before under Earthlink's DSL), it seems to drop off into oblivion. It worked
> before under earthlink...I still am using my earthlink account for
> sending and
> receiving mail...I guess verizon doesn't want to pass mail through its
> network
> bound for earthlink and the to the rest of the net? Can anyone shed
> some light
> on this?
>
> The way I'm currently sending mail is through the web interface that
> earthlink
> offers. It will do until I can figure out a real way to send mail...

So you're using Verizon DSL and accessing your earthlink email account?

I know that certain services like MSN and Earthlink block sending mail
via any other SMTP servers than their own. The point is to lessen the
relaying that would inevitably result if they simply allowed that kind
of traffic. I haven't heard of Verizond doing this, though. There's no
simple way around this, if this is what is happening. You just have to
use Verizon's SMTP server.

OTOH, I use Verizon DSL at home, and do not use their SMTP server. I
have my website hosted in Wisconsin, and I use the hosting company's
SMTP server. No problems. Verizon simply passes the traffic. I have POP3
accounts on my hosting company's box, with Verizon, and Earthlink, but I
use the hosting company's SMTP server. Also FWIW, my authentication with
my hosting company is POP before SMTP.

I'd sure be interested in a more in depth analysis of this from someone
who knows more than me about it, though.

Paul