Re: [SLUG] Dumb Mail Question

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 06:38:05 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> This is going to be a really dumb mail question, I'm sure.
>
> Say I have two machines on a network, alfa and bravo. Both are running
> sendmail/exim/postfix. Both know the existence of the other machine
> (hosts file). If I send mail from alfa to paulf@bravo, will the MTA on
> bravo pick it up and route it to the proper mailbox? In other words,
> will email sent out on the LAN wire to a specific machine be snagged by
> the MTA on that machine? This could be useful for having, say, syslogs
> periodically emailed to another machine on the LAN.
>
> Paul

It should, though you might have to create a fake domain (in my house,
it is "hef"). When I want to send mail to my wife on our LAN without
bouncing it off of our ISP, I just send to "dea@micro.hef" (micro is our
mailserver, Masquerading router, fileserver, printserver, database
server, etc.) All of our mail gets POPped-down into micro and served up
to us via IMAP, so that is where our "real" mailboxes live.

--ronan