RE: [SLUG] CPU Socket

From: Craig Zeigler (craig@caffeine-addict.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 23:09:27 EST

I've seen the main problem being the person installing the
chip/heatsync. I've yet to damage an Athlon or have one burn up. (BTW
you get about 8 seconds w/o heatsync/fan from what I've read). Most of
the time, the installer does not use the proper thermal compound. (no,
the thermal grease that comes in the little white package with the
heatsync doesn't count) Just be careful when you install it. You should
be fine. If you don't feel comfortable installing the chip and such with
the board mounted, do it on a flat surface. I generally put standoffs,
and screws wherever I can on the board.

Most of the time when a chip gets toasted, someone scratched the core of
this chip, or even better... tore it completely off :)

Have a good evening.