Re: [SLUG] earth images

From: Vernon Singleton (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 18:56:48 EST

With respect to the never ending quest to find the highest
resolution, mercator projected, cloudless image of the earth that is
freely available for download, and reasonably zoomable using open
source software ...

We finally got permission from NASA to download
ftp://visibleearth.nasa.gov/pub/EARTHVIZ/land_shallow_topo_west.tif
ftp://visibleearth.nasa.gov/pub/EARTHVIZ/land_shallow_topo_east.tif
which are 251,842,464 bytes and 420,262,104 bytes respectively.

Neither of them are viewable using gqview on my system,
which has only 1/2 Gig of RAM:) Even for tifs that do load using gqview
... its zooming capablility is not very good.

So ... if I had more RAM would the problem go away?
Does someone else want to try?
What open source viewer should I try next?

Vernon Singleton
Tried to set "Wrap plain text messages at 500 characters" under "Message
Composition" in Moz mail -- still wrapped this line at what? ... about
70 characters? ... any ideas?