Re: [SLUG] Hi New here.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 22:24:20 EST

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:09:54AM +0800, TheExploited wrote:

> Hey there,
> My name's victor and i'm new to SLUG.I can't attend any meeting
> though coz i'm from asia:( .I'm 18 yrs old and quite new to the *nix
> environment. Can i ask you guys whether should i reformat my box and
> install slackware or RH8.0 . I'm using RH7.2 now though . Not too happy
> with it though. It's not well organized and all.For example , you find your
> programme files everywhere scattered all around.And i hate it when i have
> to update my software and delete the old files.
> Regards
> Victor

"Scattered all around"? They should typically be in either /bin /usr/bin
/sbin or /usr/sbin. The distinction of which goes where is covered in
the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) at www.pathname.com. You may
also put your own scripts and programs in the /usr/local/bin directory,
which should be empty after a fresh install.

Updating is an inexact science in the Linux world. Some distros do it
well, and others don't. It has recently been suggested that the
commercial distros are or will be moving to "subscription" services for
updates, something Red Hat already has. I've not upgraded Red Hat this
way, so I don't know how well it works. But ideally, you should simply
have to tell it to update, without deleting anything.

Slackware is for Real Men (tm). Not to denigrate anyone's testosterone
level, but it's not really a distro for newbies. For a variety of
reasons. Red Hat is satisfactory for newbies, and works well for gurus
as well. Mandrake is probably considered the simplest distro (the
easiest to use, if you're from a Windows background).

The *nix environment will take some getting used to, if you're from a
different environment. Give it time.

Paul