Re: [SLUG] not a linux problem

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 23:22:41 EST

> I get no post beep and no video(to even check the bios) so
> if the thing doesnt even boot how do I know which is the
> culprit? It will power up all the HDDs and the mobo power
> light is on so I know that the power at least gets to the
> mobo,even the fan on the cpu works fine.

Most contemporary PC systems will not even power on if one or more of {motherboard,ram,cpu} is bad. It strongly suggests to me that the problem is none of these if the HDDs power up and the lights come on.

> I have used 2
> different video cards to even eliminate the prospect of a
> bad video card. Since I am not getting any sort of post
> code at all (no beeps)how do I go about finding out which
> is not working properly?

If you're not getting a post code, it further suggests that everything's working fine except the video. It could be that you're not getting the video card plugged in all the way, as suggested earlier. Your AGP slot could also be bad, although that's pretty rare. It might just be something mundane like the way the bios is set up, causing a problem with the AGP video. In any case, I'd try a PCI video card out.

Another thing to try: go through the motherboard manual and check that the positions of all the jumpers are what you want them to be.

Levi