Re: [SLUG] Mirror

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 11:39:07 EST

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 12:10, Diego Henao wrote:
> Hello, I have a question about mirrors. I have two cobalt. They are
> exactly the same machines. My actual setup is based just in dns functions.
> In other words, one is the primary dns server and the other is the
> secondary dns server. What do you recommend to me to implement if I want,
> in case the primary goes down, the secondary to be the primary?
>
> My understanding about this is that you just need to copy user's files (
> system configuration), hosting directories, and dns entries. I don't know
> how to do that. My major concerning is that I need to update the dns
> entries because when the server 1 goes down the domain is going to be the
> same, but maybe the ips will change.

Install BIND on both machines.

Setup up primary zone files on the primary DNS server. Add these
"master" zone entries to the named.conf. Edit named.conf on the
secondary DNS server and add "slave" entries for the master zones from
the primary DNS server to the named.conf. The secondary server will
"pull" the master zone information from the primary server.

Make sure statically assigned servers/workstations/switches/etc. and
DHCP clients have two servers -- a primary and secondary DNS server --
to choose from. The key to getting this working is to make sure ALL DNS
clients have both servers listed with their respective IP's. When one
DNS server fails to respond, the client knows to check the other DNS
server.

Check out the following links for more detailed info:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/DNS-HOWTO.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/DNS-HOWTO.html#ss5.6

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator

"An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly."