Re: [SLUG] Raid 1 with Linux question

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 18:25:17 EST

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 17:50, Neil Kittipalo wrote:
> I've done quite a bit of reading about setting up raid 1 with raidtools but
> have not found the answer to my situation.
> I have an 80GB hd which is almost full and have got hold of a second hd of
> the same size and I now want to mirror the first on the second with raid 1.
> Problem is all the hints, advice, and, howtos seem to assume your starting
> with blank discs and get you to format both of them when you're setting up
> raid 1.
> Is it possible to set up one half of the raid 1 array and then copy my
> present data to that, whereupon I could reformat the (presently almost
> full) disc and incorporate it into the raid 1 array? Is that question
> clear? I hope so! Neil

Yes. You can do so. This is creating a mirror in a degraded state by
artificially setting one half as a failed disk.

Set up the broken mirror with the "/dev/hda" piece having "failed-disk=1".
Then format and copy data to it, edit your new /etc/fstab on the mirrored
drive to reflect /dev/md0, and reboot with your RAID aware kernel with
root=/dev/md0. Once you're running from the degraded mirror, fdisk the first
drive and raidhotadd the /dev/hda* partition after removing the "failed-disk"
line. Look at /proc/mdstat, you should see the mirror proceeding.

Google for "failed-disk raidhotadd" if you get a chance.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)