Re: [SLUG] problems with creating backups

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 00:44:42 EST

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:29:40PM -0800, William Coulter wrote:

> Ok I am having problems. I won the Red Hat 8.0 at the last meeting and
> I can't, for some unknown
> reason, make a backup copy of the cd's. This is what I want to do.
> I want a copy of the cd's so
> I can put the original cd's away and use the copy. This way I don't
> scratch or damage the
> original cd's.
>
> This what I have.
> Windblows 2000 (have no idea what service pack)
> using a TDK cdrw 32x10x40
> With Nero v.5.5.9.0 (have to use this because roxi easy cd creator does
> not work with
> the TDK drive)
>
> The properties of the ISO are.
> CD-ROM type is ISO
> no multission
> ISO level is 2
> format is mode 2/xa
> character set is ISO 9660
> no joliet
> relax ISO restrictions
> yes allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories
> yes allow more than 255 characters in path
> yes do not add ';1' ISO file version extension
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> William

This is from the CD-Writing-HOWTO, section 1.6 (paraphrased).

If this is a Linux CD, and you have long filenames, and you're not
using Joliet, then you're using Rockridge extensions. These are designed
to allow long paths, long filenames, and all the permission information
important on Unix but unknown to Windows. Unfortunately, Windows does
not understand Rockridge extensions. Which would explain why no usable
backup would be possible on a Windows system.

OTOH, I've never scratched up a CD bad enough to make it unusable. (Of
course, I try to keep sandpaper and CDs at least ten feet from each
other, kinda like keeping floppies and magnets ten feet from each other.
;-) And I imagine that if you did, there would be some generous SLUG
member who could burn a copy of the damaged CD for you.

Paul