Re: [SLUG] need a commercial firewall recommendation

From: Todd Robinson (mtrob@penguix.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 16:02:25 EST

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 14:33, Mikes work account wrote:
> Help,, Our firewall crashed and I need recommendations for another one
> since this one is no longer supported ( not that it would help now!).
>
> We run both Linux and NT and have consultants coming in via VPN.
>
> I need one that is supported and recommended.

I think you'll get Linux as a first reply from most of us, and I
concur. My favorite there is devil-linux (www.devil-linux.org). Any
Linux implementation will require a bit of work, especially with VPN
services, but it's less expensive than the alternatives.

If however you are looking for a firewall appliance, SonicWall has been
getting very good reviews and wasn't expensive (10VPNs $420?,
expandable), and had a nice GUI interface.

--
Todd Robinson <mtrob@penguix.com>