Re: [SLUG] Re: reset archive - continued

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 23:52:54 EST

This is my understanding of the situation, but you should get a second opinion
(which should be no problem, knowing this list!)

Short answer:

You are trying to map DOS attributes to UNIX file permissions and then back to
DOS attributes. Samba can be configured to do the first mapping, but the
Linux VFAT filesystem needs to do the second mapping, and as far as I can tell
VFAT does not support attributes.

Long answer:

As you know Samba can be configured to map the archive, hidden, and system
attributes to the execute permission for owner, world, and group
(respectively). But if you have a FAT32 file system mounted as VFAT, UNIX
file permissions are not mapped to DOS file attributes. The Linux VFAT
filesystem does not support DOS attributes, and chmod has no affect on a DOS
filesystem mounted as type VFAT. When you read the UNIX permissions on a
VFAT-mounted filesystem you are getting a constant setting configured when the
filesystem is mounted (umask=) which has nothing to do with the DOS attributes
as set on the underlying FAT32 filesystem.

So in your case it probably does not make sense to configure Samba to map UNIX
execute permissions to DOS attributes. I believe by default the archive,
hidden, and system bits are off, but if not they can be set/cleared using the
Samba configuration.

I don't know of a way to have real live modifyable DOS attributes without
converting your FAT32 partition to filesystem which supports UNIX permissions
(ext2 ext3, ...).

By the way, if you just want to turn change the DOS file attributes from
Linux box, look at the mtools package, mattrib command which works on the
unmounted FAT32 filesystem -- but again Linux (and therefore Samba clients)
won't see these attribute settings.

-- Mark Polhamus