Re: [SLUG] HELP! IDE Tape backup problem!

From: tim (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 22:21:28 EST

On 17 Dec 2002 10:57:52 -0500, Logan Tygart wrote
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 23:28, tim wrote:
> <snip>
> > hda/media:tape # look at THIS! hda is a tape!
> <snip>
>
> Out of curiousity, have you tried this, with a tape in the drive?
>
> find /tmp |cpio -ov >/dev/hda
>
> To see if the tape is being used as hda instead of st0?

strace (on a subshell running the above command, required because cpio's
OUTPUT is going to the drive, meaning the shell is actually doing the open)
shows that the open("/dev/hda") is successfully, but
then there is an ioctl() that gets "I/O Error" (strace shows an errno of EIO).

When I try to use /dev/st0, I always get "No Such Device" (errno ENODEV),
regardless of the utility that actually opens the device (shell redirection,
tee, dd, etc).

Tim