Re: [SLUG] HELP! IDE Tape backup problem!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 23:46:37 EST

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 10:21:28PM -0500, tim wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2002 10:57:52 -0500, Logan Tygart wrote
> > On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 23:28, tim wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > hda/media:tape # look at THIS! hda is a tape!
> > <snip>
> >
> > Out of curiousity, have you tried this, with a tape in the drive?
> >
> > find /tmp |cpio -ov >/dev/hda
> >
> > To see if the tape is being used as hda instead of st0?
>
> strace (on a subshell running the above command, required because cpio's
> OUTPUT is going to the drive, meaning the shell is actually doing the open)
> shows that the open("/dev/hda") is successfully, but
> then there is an ioctl() that gets "I/O Error" (strace shows an errno
> of EIO).
>
> When I try to use /dev/st0, I always get "No Such Device" (errno ENODEV),
> regardless of the utility that actually opens the device (shell redirection,
> tee, dd, etc).

I haven't followed this thread closely, so pardon any glaringly stupid
mistakes....

"No such device" errors typically mean that, although the symlink in the
/dev directory for that device may exist, the module for that device is
not loaded. I never run SCSI drives (yours is a SCSI, right?), but the
SCSI-2.4-HOWTO says that the st module is what runs SCSI tape drives.
You can check the st man page or the above HOWTO for more info. There is
also a program called mt that can be used to test the drive, once the
driver is loaded. (See man mt, as usual.) I use mt for this type of
thing, but as I run floppy tape drives, I use the ftape driver rather
than the st driver.

HTH,

Paul