Re: [SLUG] I'm 100% on a data drive but its not full ??

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 14:37:56 EST

On Thursday 19 December 2002 11:24, Jim Wildman wrote:
> Unix reserves 10% of a filesystem as a safety valve that only root
> can write to. So a 10G filesystem will show full with 9G, users will be
> prevented from writing but root (and root owned processes) will still be
> able to write.

This is why it's best to use the "-m" flag while mkfs'ing your filesystem.
With ext2, the default root reserved is 5%. You can change it to 1% with:

        $ mke2fs -m 1 /dev/hda4

You can also change this on a running ext2 filesystem with tune2fs:

        $ tune2fs -m 1 /dev/hda4

If the partition is not critical for root system operation (unlike /tmp or
/var), you can set it to 0% and really not worry about the limit.

Enjoy.

- Ian

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>