Re: [SLUG] I'm 100% on a data drive but its not full ??

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 14:41:22 EST

On Thursday 19 December 2002 10:40, Andrew Wyatt wrote:

> Try unmounting the filesystem, and then run an fsck on it. I've seen
> similar issues on HPUX, it turned out that I deleted a file that still
> had an application pointing at it. Was a very weird scenario, I went
> from df showing 100% full to 75% just by restarting the application.

If you start making a large file and remove the filename from the directory,
the inode and associated data still remains open and will take up space until
the user process closes the filehandle.

This is normal Unix behavior, weird or not ;)

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)