RE: [SLUG] I'm 100% on a data drive but its not full ??

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 16:13:44 EST

Try man mke2fs.

First step is to set up the partions if needed. If you need to create or
delete partitions fdisk will do. cfdisk is a little easier to work with.
Second step is to create a file system in the partition. These days that
is commonly done with mke2fs. (In DOS it was called "format".)

I normally use mke2fs -jccv, but you will likely want different options.
The -j for the journal to make the ext2 filesystem an ext3 will use space.
It also requires ext3 support compiled into your kernel.

Also, man tune2fs. tune2fs -m 0, might get you what you're talking about
without having to backup and restore. Backup first anyway.

And, if you're trying to sqeeze the last few percent of capacity out of a
drive, you might do well to plan to get a bigger drive soon. My rule of
thumb for capacity planning: When a system reaches 80% of capacity,
double capacity.