RE: [SLUG] Mobile mp3 player?

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 10:12:32 EST

Yep, it is just not in the vehicle right now
because I am not working with that type of
systems at this time. Takes about a half day
to get it all back in there.

The 50 Mhz stuff also wreaks havoc on the
embeded vehicular computers, most of them
have a time base somewhere around 42Mhz which
is right in the middle of low band VHF. I
was doing work with a utility out in Louisiana
which was running some 110 watt mobile units in
the 42-43Mhz region. When we added mobile data
to the system they put the higher power radios
in some bucket trucks, as soon as they keyed
the transmitter the motor would shut down. The
on board computer was getting reset, the problem
was a cable that was just about exactly 1/4 wave
length from the computer to the controller, the
fix was to change the time base to a different
frequency as shielding the cable was not easy
due to having to pull a whole cable harness out.

Shield and ground, shield and ground, that is
the way to keep the noise out.