Re: [SLUG] St. Pete Meeting Follow Up

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 14:17:03 EST

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 13:40, John wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:03:13 -0500, Smitty wrote:

> Yes, since I am new to Linux, you're right--I tend to think in
> terms of how MS (or OS/2) does things.
>
> When I got home, I checked and the httpd folder contained in etc
> has these directories:
>
> conf
> modules
> logs
>
> What I had not previously realized is that the "modules" and
> "logs" are links to someplace else. For the past few weeks I've
> been struggling with getting Tomcat and other things to work,
> and I have been happily clicking into that httpd directory and
> never gave it a further thought.
>
> I apologize--I wasn't aware that I "insisted" about this
> issue--the last thing I remember saying was that I would go home
> and look at it. Which I did.

You stated that there were executables in /etc four times and I politlely told
you to take a good look at it.

> Funny thing--one month ago Aaron helped me a great deal with a
> few words of guidance. Using his input as a start, I figured
> out how to set up an inhouse web server with ftp, apache,
> tomcat/servlets, php, mysql, virtual hosts, and it ALL WORKS.

I find it amazing that you can set all those servers up and not know what /etc
contains.

> I was very pleased with myself. How deflating to learn that I
> am in fact an idiot compared to the SLUG Linux gurus. And to
> learn that I am an MS schill--well, that's pretty funny
> considering that I spent many years exclusively working with
> OS/2; I was an OS/2 advisor on Compuserve, and I hate MS with a
> passion.

No one else said you were an idiot. You just did, evidently to get sympathy.

> I'll admit one thing, Smitty--you guys at the SLUG meetings
> impress the hell out of me. You're really on the ball, and have
> a wealth of knowledge. However, this is my second unpleasant
> SLUG experience, and maybe I'll just go back to trying to pick
> things up on my own.

Looks like you are running the play the victim to get sympathy routine.
I don't buy into that stuff.
No one else would exclude you from participation but you.