Re: [SLUG] St. Pete Meeting Follow Up

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 13:40:27 EST

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:03:13 -0500, Smitty wrote:

-> By the way, I hope we answered all of the "questions"
-> subtly calculated to invalidate linux put forth by the
middle-aged microsoft
-> shill who showed up. Amazing how he repeatedly insisted that
/etc contains
-> executable files. I guess he can only think in terms of how
ms does things.

Yes, since I am new to Linux, you're right--I tend to think in
terms of how MS (or OS/2) does things.

When I got home, I checked and the httpd folder contained in etc
has these directories:

conf
modules
logs

What I had not previously realized is that the "modules" and
"logs" are links to someplace else. For the past few weeks I've
been struggling with getting Tomcat and other things to work,
and I have been happily clicking into that httpd directory and
never gave it a further thought.

I apologize--I wasn't aware that I "insisted" about this
issue--the last thing I remember saying was that I would go home
and look at it. Which I did.

Funny thing--one month ago Aaron helped me a great deal with a
few words of guidance. Using his input as a start, I figured
out how to set up an inhouse web server with ftp, apache,
tomcat/servlets, php, mysql, virtual hosts, and it ALL WORKS.

I was very pleased with myself. How deflating to learn that I
am in fact an idiot compared to the SLUG Linux gurus. And to
learn that I am an MS schill--well, that's pretty funny
considering that I spent many years exclusively working with
OS/2; I was an OS/2 advisor on Compuserve, and I hate MS with a
passion.

I'll admit one thing, Smitty--you guys at the SLUG meetings
impress the hell out of me. You're really on the ball, and have
a wealth of knowledge. However, this is my second unpleasant
SLUG experience, and maybe I'll just go back to trying to pick
things up on my own.

Thanks for the help.

John