Re: [SLUG] Questions about laptop batteries

From: Vernon (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 18:56:37 EST

Matt wrote:

>Thanks for the help, I'm going to cycle it a few more times then stick
>to battery power only from now on
>
>On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:34, JamesS wrote:
>

>>Laptop batterys are not made to keep 100% charged all the time. They often
>>do exactly what you describe when they are. I try to run my laptops on the
>>batterys and only charge them when they get very low. Once a week i will
>>leave them on until they shut themselves off. The batterys seem to last much
>>longer this way. My first laptop i kept fully charged and the battery only
>>lasted a year before it would not take a charge at all.

This is my main beef with laptops ... not the computers, but the battery.
All that advanced circuitry but nothing that
"stops charging the battery, and then recharges it when necessary".
Of course this is a major appeal of laptops to the retail market ...
"battery sales".

But if it were engineered properly, you would _really_ be able to buy
a laptop based on it's ability to recharge the battery the best.

Two points:

1) the most convenient thing to do with any rechargable battery (laptop,
cellphone, etc ...)
        --> leave it plugged in!

2) the worst thing to do with any rechargable battery (laptop,
cellphone, etc ...)
        --> leave it plugged in!

And I do not accept any pap about Lithium ion vs. NiCd ...
friend of mine does rechargable battery development for Energizer ...
he gave me the complete run down in detail ...
it's the battery manufacturers and their agreements with OEMs
which are my enemies on this planet.

i.e. their continuing aggreements to sell inferior products without the
accompanying
circuitry/software to properly maintain your battery for the maintenence
revenue.

Vernon Singleton
vsingleton@cfl.rr.com