Re: [SLUG] Redhat ext3 harddrive problem - and fix - but wonder why

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 18:39:00 EST

On Friday 03 January 2003 18:29, Mike Manchester wrote:
> One is an IBM 1 gig and the other is a Maxtor 20 gig. The suspected
> drive is the IBM.
> Mike M.

You're still *using* a 1gig drive? Wow. Yeah, it most definitely wont' support
SMART. I still have some 80M drives in the garage, if you're interested in
running on antiquated hardware ;)

> Though I'm still scratching my head on why a hard drive that contains
> the /boot and swap partition would cause slow program loading.

If swap is having problems, it makes perfect sense. Whenever your kernel goes
to swap memory pages out to disk, it must content with what can only be a
slow/dead/dying drive.

Try running WITHOUT swap. Use "swapon -s" to find what device you're using,
then "swapoff /dev/hdaX". If you have enough RAM to run everything (if not,
your machine will lock up or the OOM killer will kill processes), and this is
the problem, things should speed up.

> NOTE: this slow program loading just started a couple of days ago. Up
> until this machine rocked.

Dead/dying drive. Seriously, replace that thing. Soon.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)