Re: [SLUG] XFree86 re-install

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 13:59:29 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 11:25, Matthew Walker wrote:
> most agreed. running 'panel' as a background proc has
> definitely worked, although it comes up with two date
> applets and other oddities. That's easy to fix, but
> I'd rather get to the bottom of things.

Ahhh, I thought your panel was not coming up. I guess I misread your
original post.

> Anyone know the init steps for XFree86 then Gnome? I
> imagine that this problem is more Gnome specific than
> anything else.

XFree essentially provides 3 things -- access to the keyboard, mouse
and video card. There are some library extensions for accelerated video
and such, but the bottom line is XFree only provides a KVM interface.
GDM, gnome, sawfish/enlightenment -- these are the elements that provide
your GUI components -- desktop manager, window manager, common libraries
(GTK), etc.
If you are having problems with the Desktop GUI environment, then the
problem is probably a gnome/gdm(display manager)/window manager issue.
Although this isn't always the preferred solution to your problem, you
could try the following:

Exit X (ctrl+alt+backspace). You may need to go to a lower init level to
prevent X from respawning (check /etc/inittab).
$ init 1 #--only if needed--#
$ cp -pr ~/.gnome ~/.gnome-old
$ rm -r ~/.gnome
Restart X (init 5 ?). Or, if you didn't change init levels, invoking gdm
as a superuser should do the trick

Gnome will rebuild your user configuration from scratch and revert to
the defaults.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.