Re: [SLUG] Debian made easy

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 23:39:14 EST

> Egads! What the devil is so difficult about installing Debian?!?!

Hmmm, It may have something to do with the dozens of questions about a
multitude of issues most users have no clue about, nor have any desire to
learn about. ;)

>Compared to the early versions of
> Linux, using a RAM disk 5 1/4 floppy, a boot disk 5 1/4 floppy and 50
> minute to over an hour kernel compile times to make my drivers, Debian
> is an utter blessing.

But compared to modern distros installations, it is more detailed (which I
understand is a big plus for some people, but a major barrier to others),
much uglier, and certainly daunting to the average PC user.

>In my opinion, if
> you want to use Linux and just Linux, Debian is the way to go and there
> is nothing difficult about the commands, "apt-get update," and "apt-get
> -u upgrade."

There certainly is nothing wrong with those commands... There is also
nothing wrong with up2date -u or rpm -i *.rpm or urpmi.

> Anyway, all of the users in the orthodontic offices (over 100)
> across the US and Europe which have my Linux servers, along with a
> multitude of dumb terminals, to include Loma Linda University of
> California, have commented they enjoy the ability to log in at any
> terminal and have the same desktop, no matter where they log in. They
> also enjoy system maintenance from afar with SSH, which is much cheaper
> than having a technician come to their office.

This can be done with pretty much any distro, I believe...OpenSSH and VNC
can be run on any Linux distro.

> Debian is easy to install.

OK, I will grant that I installed Debian without any trouble at all by
just accepting all the defaults to the many questions that were asked that
I had no idea what they were referring to. However, most people would be
scared by a bunch of technical questions with techy jargon...

>If you have installed something like Red
> Hat, SuSE or Mandrake or any other automagically installed distro, run
> the command "lsmod" as root, write down the list of modules produced and
> you can install Debian just the same, with less money out of your
> pocket.

Less money out of my pocket? I'm not sure what you mean, RedHat and
Mandrake are completely free to download, or you can install via FTP (at
least, with RH, not sure about Mandrake).

Wow, I'm reading my post, and it seems harsher than I want it to be. I'm
not bashing Debian, just stating my opinion... I am not trying to start a
distro war. I know that Debian has its strengths, and it is a fine distro.
But I disagree with your assertions that Debian is as easy to install as
other distros for the average user, and that it is cheaper. You also seem
to imply that it is better because SSH allows remote administration,
although all distros can do that. Same with the common desktop regardless
of where you log in; any distro can do that using VNC and SSH.

Doug