Re: [SLUG] Debian made easy

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 20:43:02 EST

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:18, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Right now another great Dedbian based Distro is Xandros.

     Egads! What the devil is so difficult about installing Debian?!?!
With the exception of my European boxen, which run SuSE at their behest,
all of my American boxen run Debian.
     Xandros sounds cool if you run M$ regalia, but I haven't used
anything M$ since DOS 5.0 when I switched from a Commodore 64 to a shiny
new IBM i386 20MHz and DOS 5.0 and it complained (in 1991, with a
staggering 4MB of RAM and 20MB HHD) of an "out of memory error" running
SimCity, which worked perfectly on my C64 (with a mighty 64k,) but would
not on my IBM and thus, I had to learn about DOS HIMEM nonsense. I dilly
dallied with other operating systems for sometime and was ready to
install Minix on my 386, at a vilely higher price than Windoze is now,
when in 1994 I discovered Linux. Compared to the early versions of
Linux, using a RAM disk 5 1/4 floppy, a boot disk 5 1/4 floppy and 50
minute to over an hour kernel compile times to make my drivers, Debian
is an utter blessing. Its stability is non-parallel. In my opinion, if
you want to use Linux and just Linux, Debian is the way to go and there
is nothing difficult about the commands, "apt-get update," and "apt-get
-u upgrade."
     Anyway, all of the users in the orthodontic offices (over 100)
across the US and Europe which have my Linux servers, along with a
multitude of dumb terminals, to include Loma Linda University of
California, have commented they enjoy the ability to log in at any
terminal and have the same desktop, no matter where they log in. They
also enjoy system maintenance from afar with SSH, which is much cheaper
than having a technician come to their office.
        Debian is easy to install. If you have installed something like Red
Hat, SuSE or Mandrake or any other automagically installed distro, run
the command "lsmod" as root, write down the list of modules produced and
you can install Debian just the same, with less money out of your
pocket. Then possibly make a small donation to the Free Software
Foundation with the money you would have spent buying a distro.
     My God! Was that a rant? Forgive me. I did not mean to sound
like Dennis Miller, especially since my rant was no where near as
humorous and lacking similes... But in his words:
     This is just my opinion and I could be wrong...

The Logan

--
19:35:01 up 170 days, 12:06, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.66, 0.87
Give Debian a whirl... wait a minute, it already has one in its logo.