Re: [SLUG] Debian made easy

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 10:18:35 EST

Right now another great Dedbian based Distro is Xandros.
This is by far the easiest to install. How ever there is not a Free Version.
How ever after Reading Tina's write up I decided to order a copy. I have not
been dissapointed yet. Works great. Also I have played with the Cross over
part they have included.

Just for kicks I loaded the Ms Office 2000 no problems. I.E. 6.01 sp 2,
again no problems, Then they had a version of Win for Lin as a download
demo. Well I found out by entering a full Licenses Code it is a full
version. Loaded 98 no problems. Also loaded Media Player 6.04 and put all
the Codecs in it. Then I loaded the old Corel Word Perfect 2000 Deluxe for
Linux, and The Corel Draw and Photo Paint. Had to use the updated installer
patch loaded the Office Deluxe first then the Paint and Draw no problems.

Then the off the wall stuff I loaded Quicken 2k , Lotus Smart Suite
Millenium, and Aol 7.0 all works. Again this used the Cross over. The Lotus
Smart Suites 96 and 97 tried to install but bombed at 94% and 99%. Do not
know why.

The Win for Lin also shocked me cause I got sound when 98 is Launched. Next
I am going to See if M.A.M.E. will run still. I am a huge Arcade Game fan.

I have put all the updates in and it Rocks. I have not seen a distro like
this that has actually had all these things work for me like this. Did I
mention this is running on my Compaq Presario XL 1100 laptop? That's right
192 meg ram and a 8 Meg ATI 3d card. Also running a 550 mhz Amd 10 gig Hard
Drive with JBL speakers in it. When I get a chance I am going to Fire up my
old Corel Desktop box and see how the upgrade works on it.

The few things that did not work was Outlook Express how ever I think if
they tweaked the Cross Over it would work. It will get up to the point to
connecting and then hang. Also with even a little more tweak regular Word
Perfect 2002 would work as that hangs at 94 to 99% when installing. Also as
mention Lotus Smart Suite which I got to install I wish Lotus would bring
over.
The only thing with the Lotus Smart Suite it took me 6 hours to get it to
work. How ever when I upgraded it with the patches it bombs out.

This is I think a great distro for ones who are wanting to check out Linux
from a Newbie stand point. It allows them to see that they do not have to
give much up and that even some of their old stuff can still work.

Wonder how the Server version works as I would love to try it out next.

Bill P.