Re: [SLUG] How to post to lists

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 18:24:59 EST

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 06:08:32PM -0500, btt wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:26:08PM -0500, Matthew Moen wrote:
> >
> > Geeks tend to get insulted when people ask them to do their menial work.
> > Geeks like challenges, not "I couldn't be bothered spending 5-15 minutes
> > finding this myself, so...could you do it for me?" Perhaps that's not
> > the case here, but your message's content certainly points toward that
> > direction.
>
> I don't think people should have to go through all that google,
> freshmeat, etc. rigor just to ask a question on a LUG email
> list. IMHO, that expectation is kinda newbie-hostile.

That's what FAQs are for. If a question is asked a dozen times, kindly
reply to the poster privately and politely refer to the FAQ. If the
question has not been asked before, answer it. If the question has been
asked before but is not in the FAQ, add it.

This is how great FAQs are built, and newbies are kept happy while not
totally offending the ubergeeks.

We have a SLUG FAQ, riiiight? ;)

Honestly though, I'm really offended by people who don't even consider a
google search first these days. It's a sign of poor netiquette - is
the 5 minutes they would waste trying a simple search more valuable than
mine? It's the first thing I do wether I'm looking to ask a kernel
hacker a question, or answer a SLUG query. Always.

- Ian