Re: [SLUG] How do you make mp3 files in Redmond 8.0?

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 16:53:58 EST

Mike Manchester wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how to make mp3 files from cds'? Seems that
> every thing in Redmond 8.0 is creating ogg files. I used to use grip in
> Redhat 7.3 but with 8.0 I can't. I seem to be missing the ability to
> make mp3 files. Even mp3encode is set to create ogg files. I can't get
> mp3encode to compile anyway. Damn I've got a walkman that will mp3's but
> no way to create them. Guess I'll just have to go to gnutella and
> download them :)
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

RedHat, claiming license issues, decided not to bundle any MP3 libraries
with RH8.0. Even XMMS cannot play MP3s unless you download a 3rd party
library (there is an RPM to install the MP3 libs needed by XMMS). So
you are going to have to download any ripping or playing software that
you want to use with MP3.

--ronan