Re: [SLUG] DVD in redhat 8

From: Lee Gusler (lgusler@gte.net)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 01:14:42 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "ethan zimmerman" <ethan@ethanzimmerman.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 5:30 PM
Subject: [SLUG] DVD in redhat 8

> I'm having trouble with DVD playback. I just learned that I need to
enable
> DMA manually (stupid redhat). I looked at my DVD drive and it's
/dev/hdc I
> sorta expected it to be /dev/dvd or something like that. What does
that
> mean? Is that why I can't use the "Open Disc" feature of Ogle? Does
this
> effect enabling DMA? Do these pant make me look fat?
>
> -ethan
snip...

ethan,

an item in the Red Hat Linux 8.0 Release Notes says:

DMA is disabled on CD-ROM drives in this release in a different but more
reliable way than previously. If you are sure that your CD-ROM drive is
capable of IDE DMA, place the following line in the
/etc/modules.conf file:

options ide-cd dma=1

I can't make up my mind about the pants, but I hope this solves your DVD
problem.

Lee