[SLUG] weekly planet article(New Member)

From: ofont@helios.acomp.usf.edu
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 14:02:07 EST

Well, in regards to a boom in new members, I am one of them. I am a student at
USF and majoring in computers and all we use is Microsoft products, especially
now that we discovered MSDS which is a $800 dollar license for 50 students paid
by the university's department and provides all the development tools need to
do all the class assignments. When I started in the program we had to buy them
or the ones we wanted to use. Now people get Microsoft products for free just
for taking a class. This is obviously an attempt by Microsoft to "HOOK'EM WHLE
THERE YOUNG" and a way to make some money seeing that you can just pirate the
software and make $0.
Because of the article I became aware of your group and am anxious about
learning new things about compters especially if it is outside the realm of
Microsoft. I don't have Linux yet, but I have a computer at home that was
given to me by a friend because it got zapped by lightning. I want to fix it
and install Linux on it so that i can start my new adventure of discover in a
Microsft-free environment.
I have one problem though and it's that I go to school and work on campus the
whole week. I live around the USF are so if there is somebody else who lives
around here that I can maybe work with that would be great. Th e reason for
this is that I can't make the meetings because of this semester's schedule.
So, again:
if anybody lives in the USF area, please contact me at:
ofont@helios.acomp.usf.edu
Thanks and I hope to meet some of you in the near future.
Ossy
Quoting btt@nethouse.com: