Re: [SLUG] weekly planet article(New Member)

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 20:13:30 EST

> Well, in regards to a boom in new members, I am one of them. I am a student at
> USF and majoring in computers and all we use is Microsoft products, especially
> now that we discovered MSDS which is a $800 dollar license for 50 students paid
> by the university's department and provides all the development tools need to
> do all the class assignments. When I started in the program we had to buy them
> or the ones we wanted to use. Now people get Microsoft products for free just
> for taking a class. This is obviously an attempt by Microsoft to "HOOK'EM WHLE
> THERE YOUNG" and a way to make some money seeing that you can just pirate the
> software and make $0.

One of my old CS professors told me that MS also offered kickbacks(not sure if this is the right word, but damn the torpedoes!) to them in exchange for featuring MS products, such as Visual Studio and Visio, in their courses. It's terribly saddening to see someone try to teach a Java course using Visual J++...

Levi