Re: [SLUG] weekly planet article(New Member)

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 23:38:22 EST

> One of my old CS professors told me that MS also offered kickbacks(not sure if this is the right word, but damn the torpedoes!) to them in exchange for featuring MS products, such as Visual Studio and Visio, in their courses. It's terribly saddening to see someone try to teach a Java course using Visual J++...

Microsoft has offered honoria (polite word for kickbacks in this case)
to professors who write papers that feature their products for many
years. They used to do the same for journalists, but that got stopped
when several reporters got fired for it - I believe in Dallas, but I
don't really remember.

I don't think MS has ever given cash to profs who choose to use their
products in the classroom. Usually they offer free software, hardware,
and books.

Note, too, that the "nearly free" student versions of MS software
usually aren't quite that free. The university has typically purchased a
site license that covers all students and faculty, and the site license
cost is buried either in tuition or in student activity fees - or,
often, simply paid by the taxpayers in the case of public universities.

- Robin