Re: [SLUG] Moving forward

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 09:50:25 EST

I have been watching this thread and catching up on all the posts (that'll teach
me not to check my mail for 2 days) and following with a great deal of interest.
 I would first like to state that I have done self study many times and I have
found that an environment where you learn at your own pace with a mentor there
to assist if you get stuck works best for me. You can have the best of both
worlds by having a standard book for the basic learning along with a mentor whom
you can ask questions to for clarity and understanding. If the mentor is
familiar with the book as well then they can also direct you where to go and to
elaborate on the details of the chapter/section.

I, myself, have currently been studying for an exam that most people kind of
laugh at but, IMHO, its a good introduction to the environment and a pretty easy
CERT to get. The Linux+ certification offered by CompTIA is
(http://www.comptia.org/certification/linux/default.asp) and is priced within
reason I believe ($125 for the test). Now, again, this is not an Administrative
class or any such thing, but it does provide one with a basic understanding of
the Linux OS, filesystem, and how it operates both on a local network as well as
the Internet itself. The book that I use to study for this is actually way
overkill as far as the exam itself goes but I have found to be one of the better
books on Linux in general. It is published by one of my favorite
techno-informational companies, Sybex. If anyone has ever used Sybex books for
Microsoft references they would most likely agree with me (especially the Mark
Minasi series) because these books are NOT marketing fluff books nor are they
basic study guides for passing the tests. These books actually teach you about
the environment and different ways to do different tasks and why some would not
be good and others would be. For prime example, the Linux+ Study Guide tells
you about xhost+ but then goes into great detail about why NOT to do this and
the better alternatives. If anyone is interested in reviewing the book, I will
be at the Tampa LUG meeting and will bring the book with me. I bought mine from
Barnse and Noble
(http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2WMBMLNUCH&isbn=0782129390&itm=4)
 for $40.

This is just my opinion and others might have an even better reference but
figured I would thow it out to you all. I would definately be interested in a
couple of class-like sessions at some LUGs :).

Pace