Re: [SLUG] Linux courses

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 10:15:53 EST

One thing that also might be a novel approach that I have found to work for me
in the past is to let the students teach the class. Here's exactly what I mean
by that. When I was working at Tech Data I transferred to the Pre-Sales
Networking department and was getting ramped up on all the vendor products and
solutions. A lot of information needed to be absorbed and sometimes it was
difficult grasping certain concepts or understanding different interfaces
between technologies (Telco equipment is a fantastic example of that). What my
boss did was probably one of the best experiences I have had in my professional
career. He had us pick a subject and then research it so that we could give a
class on it to help to cross-train other techs as well as some of our sales
people. Now although we were techs by nature, some of us were far from experts
or Engineers and it actually was better for the sales reps because when we
taught, we taught from a lower level than say from an Engineer. The best
benefit to this was that fact that when we taught the class, we learned more
from teaching than anything. Especially when someone asked a question that we
did not know the answer to. After class we would go research the question and
then deliver the answer either directly to the individual or in class if it was
longer than 1 session. I would think this approach would not only be beneficial
to learn by but also supports the basic foundation of Linux since by helping
others, you end up helping yourself :)

Again, this is just an idea/thought and I would be happy to participate in any
group/class activity that may come from this discussion.

Pace
cpace@tampabay.rr.com