RE: [SLUG] I am beginning to lose my hair

From: Rock (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 15:58:30 EST

I can now take the time to revisit this issue after having been
distracted by my boss for a few days. If you recall, I cannot telnet,
ssh or rsh into this redhat 8.0 install. rsh will not go out either.
Matt suggested the following:

2) Run nmap and/or netstat to determine if a box is listening on port 23
for telnet and port 22 for ssh:
    # This will show what ports are listening and which applications
    have the ports open (run as root).
    $ netstat -pnl | egrep "22|23"
    # From a remote host:
    $ nmap -p 22-23 hostname

*** neither port is listening at this point!!

3) Run ps to see if telnet/ssh is running:

*** neither is running

    $ ps axf | egrep "ssh|telnet"
4) Search for sshd/telnetd to see if you have a variation of the
ssh/telnet daemon(s) installed:
    $ find /usr -name "*telnet*"
    $ find /usr -name "*ssh*"

*** I have removed and re installed telnet from redhat rpm's.

5) If some variation of sshd/telnetd is found, manually run the command
as root:
    $ /usr/sbin/telnetd
    OR
    $ /usr/sbin/sshd

*** I have nothing that resembles a daemon process to execute at all.

6) See if you can ssh/telnet to the host from a remote host after
manually running the command.
    user@remotehost$ ssh <hostname or ip_address>
    user@remotehost$ telnet <hostname or ip_address>

*** Nope, nothing

I have the same problem with rsh. Nothing happens when I execute the
command.

What the heck as I missing here?? I installed the same OS on a
workstation and viola, everything works. It is as if the install
screwed up somewhere.

Michael C. Rock

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.