Re: [SLUG] Talk about a SourceForge like site?

From: Matthew Walker (mwalker_web@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 10:58:10 EST

Well, I do.

We actually have our grips on three mailing lists. One
is a concept at the moment. I am going to attempt to
explain this without getting into the nuts and bolts
of the organization. But keep in mind that:

tbjug.org != TBJUG member's organization

they are both under the Tampa Bay Java User Group, and
work very well together, but are not the same.

tbjugorg-discuss - this is currently a private mailing
list at sourceforge that is being used by the
officiating officers of TBJUG. We are using it to
collaborate on administrative stuff while getting the
group off the ground. We will very possibly move this
off of sourceforge and open it up for its intended
audience, which are users discussing tbjug.org - more
on this in a bit.

tbjugorg-devel - this exists for those of us who are
both developing or attempting to grasp the concepts
behind tbjug.org's architecture, (It's quite simple
actually - but order is still needed).

THE tbjugorg mailing list - this mailing list is one
that will be used basically by Tampa area java
enthusiasts or developers. I envision this to be very
much like the SLUG mailing list, (I can only dream).
At tbjug.org we have a job board, (which could use
some postings), and those jobs are first sent to the
mailing list before being visible to the world.
Anyway, since this has nothing to do with SourceForge,
I wouldn't feel right using their resources for
something like that. I know, I know - I'm a boyscout,
but it's best just to let me have my way. My solution
will come in one of two forms. I will either have
someone in the group help out or I will lean towards
using our hosting sponsor's resources.

-Matt