Re: [SLUG] Remote X,...Ding!!!, Round 2

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 11:13:03 EST

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:34:45 -0500, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

-> Your problem *appears* to be a GART issue.
->
-> For some reason, and I've never experienced this particular
error myself, the
-> X server is refusing to run more than once instance at the
same time.
->
-> Can you try this:
->
-> 1. Switch to Virtual Console 1 (VC 1) using
CNTL-ALT-F1
-> 2. Login as root.
-> 3. If you're on a RedHat or similar box, drop OUT of
any GUI runlevel:
-> # init 2
-> 4. Kill any remaining kdm, gdm, or xdm display
manager.
-> # killall gdm
-> # killall kdm
-> # killall xdm
-> 5. Make sure your X11 server is not running.
-> # ps -axuw | grep X
-> If you see a XFree86 process running, we want to
try and kill it.
->
-> Now that you have no X server running, we want to try and see
if we can start
-> one manually:
->
-> # X :0 2>&1 >/tmp/error.log &
->
-> You should get a "grey stipple" background and a simple "X"
cursor. Nothing
-> else will appear.

OK, I know the grey stipple you're talking about, but I didn't
see it--just the normal big X in the middle, black screen
background.

-> Did that work? If not, then I'm *very* confused at how your X
desktop is
-> currently being started. Please send me the /tmp/error.log
file in an email.
->
-> If it did work, try the following:
->
-> 1. Use CNTL-ALT-F1 to return to your VC1 console.
-> 4. Now, we want to start another X server on a second
display:
-> # X :1 2>&1 > /tmp/error1.log &
->
-> Did a grey-stipple screen re-appear? If so, then you *can*
have two X servers
-> running at the same time with your GART implementation. If
not, there's a
-> weirdness there that I've yet to experience.

Nope, this second part gave me the screen full of error info.

Going to /tmp/error.log and error1.log, both files exist, but
when I do a "more" on them, there is nothing.

In case I did something wrong, I plan to do the whole thing over
again from a fresh boot, but I have to run off to a
meeting--damn, it's a lot more fun tracking down bugs than
having meetings!

John