Re: [SLUG] Remote X,...Ding!!!, Round 2

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 10:34:45 EST

Your problem *appears* to be a GART issue.

For some reason, and I've never experienced this particular error myself, the
X server is refusing to run more than once instance at the same time.

Can you try this:

        1. Switch to Virtual Console 1 (VC 1) using CNTL-ALT-F1
        2. Login as root.
        3. If you're on a RedHat or similar box, drop OUT of any GUI runlevel:
                # init 2
        4. Kill any remaining kdm, gdm, or xdm display manager.
                # killall gdm
                # killall kdm
                # killall xdm
        5. Make sure your X11 server is not running.
                # ps -axuw | grep X
            If you see a XFree86 process running, we want to try and kill it.

Now that you have no X server running, we want to try and see if we can start
one manually:

        # X :0 2>&1 >/tmp/error.log &

You should get a "grey stipple" background and a simple "X" cursor. Nothing
else will appear.

Did that work? If not, then I'm *very* confused at how your X desktop is
currently being started. Please send me the /tmp/error.log file in an email.

If it did work, try the following:

        1. Use CNTL-ALT-F1 to return to your VC1 console.
        4. Now, we want to start another X server on a second display:
                # X :1 2>&1 > /tmp/error1.log &

Did a grey-stipple screen re-appear? If so, then you *can* have two X servers
running at the same time with your GART implementation. If not, there's a
weirdness there that I've yet to experience. To stop this test

Whenever you have a grey-stipple screen like that, you can either switch back
to a text mode VC using the CNTL-ALT-F[1-6] keystroke, or you can "kill" the
running X server using CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill it completely.

The easiest way to regain your desktop at this point is to reboot, but you may
also return to the running X runlevel or start kdm/gdm/xdm manually from the
command prompt.

 - Ian

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>